Tuesday 16 January 2018

Khawateen-o-hazrat,
Ek zamana tha Zid shayar bahara karte tarhtush
Dekhe aaj adib kaisa ummodo-khair giraftar hai
I often wonder whether poetry is a text written in rhythmic form or it is something very subtle that cannot be expressed literally in words.  
कहनेको किस किस मौजू पर क्या क्या कहते हम बा-इखलाख
If I was required to say something I have many issues that could be handled with care & sanity…
हम  सुखनवर कम नहीं मगर देखिये तारीफ़ किसकी होने लगी
I am no ordinary speaker but it seems people are getting lost in my imagination of my beloved’s beauty more than my poetry.
I remember once Faiz sahab talked about Kacchi shayari & Pucci shayari. 
Kacchi shayari is the one which bears the same meaning as the words are. These expressions are common expressions because the content itself is common. However, when there is a transit of subjects that boils down to confusing ideas including the confusions of the mind of the poet himself,  the poetry invariable goes into digging out expressions & metaphors that are increasingly complex. This is where a novice to the world of literature gives up because he wants to hear what he has already heard. More evolved listeners what to hear what they have never heard. To bring people out of this naivety poet's own intervention is required.
I am trying to put a parallel thought in a parallel language that could help many relate the poetry better. 
I hope you will not mind it!

ऐसे बज़्म-ऐ -खिराद क्यूँ  न  रह जाऊ आज  यारा  मुहर  बलब 
बे-अल्फ़ाज़े मेरी लगी उनकी दिलकशी साज़-ऐ-सरमदी  होने लगी
Seeing the company of such wise people who understand me beyond the words, should I not keep my lips closed?
Without me saying a word my pains have become my audience’s sensitive treasure that is turning into an immortal song.
उधर  निगाही -ऐ -बदरफ्तार  इधर  खवाइश  नीयत -ऐ -परवाज़
कभी  जहाँ -ऐ -मुतमइन  कभी  रंजो-गिरफ्त तबाही होने  लगी
She is putting her eyes on me & I am being swept off my feet. Then I have my own set of desires that are as always airborne with wings…
I see a world of deep happiness & contentment on one side & the melancholy that has imprisoned me that is beginning to destroy me on the other side.
Peace is a great virtue; for it embodies the possibility of vision of life at rest. That is period of detailing. Moving through life is an experience, the faster one moves, the lesser the recall. That experience is only of an academic value; because it does not go to enough to our senses. Peace brings more nerves to purpose of disintegrating substance. That is why we do not run immediately after food. The digestive juices will into be active. Understanding poetry is very similar. The deep inner peace is the virtue that will convert even a rank outsider to poetry into a poetic mind set little by little. Let this change be subtle because poetry itself is very subtle.
The ‘adab’ and the ‘taukif’ of the musical assemblies is nothing but the setting for this ideology. A noisy part of the poetry recitation is the melodrama. What can be understood by everyone is not the real meaning but the apparent meaning. The real meaning takes time to understand. It is rare that a new poetry worth its salt is understood right in the first go. It is when you are somewhere else in some other sphere that the meaning gets decoded. There is nothing direct and fast about the meaning. The sheer entertainment value of the musical assemblies is on account of the apparent meaning. Many time people like the expressions or the way it is said rather than understand the direction of the words. Conception of meaning will come only later. It is so much like nature.
That is the reason precisely that gazals are meant for royals’ royal nature, royal life style and people generally not stuck with basics; either they do not have those or they have decided to take up thoughts of beauty, faith and religion as much more urgent.



No comments:

Post a Comment